VIETNAMESE BANH MI
1 tablespoon fresh Lemongrass
1 teaspoon fresh Ginger
1 teaspoon ground Coriander
1/2 tablespoon Tomato paste
30ml Soy sauce
1 tablespoon Maple syrup (or rice syrup)
1 teaspoon Lime juice
1/8 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
1 x 400g can Young Jack fruit
2/3 cup shredded Carrot
2/3 cup shredded Cucumber
1/2 cup shredded Daikon (or radish)
2 tablespoons Rice wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
2 tablespoons Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
Fresh red chillies
1. Drain and rinse jackfruit.
2. Breakdown the lemongrass fibres by bashing it with the back of your knife or a pestle, then finely chop. Add lemongrass, ginger, coriander, tomato paste, soy sauce, maple syrup, lime juice and Chinese 5 spice to a blender, then blitz into a smooth paste.
3. Massage marinade into the jackfruit, set aside.
4. Thinly slice vegetables, then add rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt - set aside to pickle.
5. Heat a small frying pan over medium-high heat, add a splash of oil to the base of the pan. Add the jackfruit and marinade to the pan and cook. This process is mostly to warm it up, however it is delicious when you get a bit of fried, golden colour on the jackfruit.
6. Drain off the pickled veg and add to a bread roll, then fill with some jackfruit, garnish with fresh coriander and chillies.
*Jackfruit is high FODMAP, this won't be good for someone with IBS.